Switching to Jekyll brings one major change in how I publish a post. And I’m not talking about the workflow now, which I managed to master, I’d say (create post in iA Writer, rename it to meet the Jekyll post naming rules, move it to Dropbox, done).
It’s about the fact I need to use markdown instead of just typing a piece of text, highlighting it and setting it as bold or underlined, etc. Even creating links is completely different.
Now I have no doubt there’s a better way of doing it. Maybe iA Writer isn’t the right tool but it’s a tool I’ve had and used for many years so I got used to it. I wrote many, many markdown documents over those years but none of them required me to learn markdown language in detail.
So far, I’ve been fine with knowing how to make a piece of text a title or sub-title, maybe make it bold, create some bullet lists. But that was all. I never used links, never inserted images or used any of the advanced features that would allow me to add
code, for example.
I also never had to worry about the file name extension. My iA Writer was set to default to
.txt but that wouldn’t work with Jekyll. The markdown wouldn’t be rendered properly. I had to change it to
.markdown instead. I know it’s a tiny thing but it took me a while to figure out why my posts don’t format properly - paragraphs weren’t showing, links weren’t working, etc.
Still, despite the bumpy start, I am deeply enjoying the new blogging experience and the simplicity of publishing!
You can't buy me time but you can if you'd like :) Thanks!